Sunday, March 27, 2011

From Dongdeamun to NewYork

I'm going to talk about a famous Korean fashion designer, Choi Bum Suk. He was born in a poor family so he couldn't go to uuniversity to study fashion, but he started to work in Dongdaemun which is a famous area for non-brand clothing when he graduated from high school. In 2003, he launched his own fashion brand called 'General Idea', which is all about men's wear and concepts in modern and unique trends, making changes in the fashion industry. Eventually, he extended his business to NewYork opening  a NY collection and runway. It was what he had been aiming for and so far, he has a few off-line shops in NewYork. The latest collection is F/W 2011 M2 in NewYork. I admire him because he started from nothing except his talents in fashion and he is successful now in his field. It's really challenging to go into a fashion market in the USA with an Asian brand name, but he did that, so I'm proud of him as a Korean. He has also written books about his life and fashion and one of his books inspired me to have a big dream like him. He is adventurous and passionate about what he does, including fashion design, writing books, DJing, and even clubbing!! He said he can be inspired by anyting he does everyday like drinking with his friends, watching movies, and listening to music. He has the ability to bring creative ideas to his designs from usual things. As I'm studying visual communication design, I can learn a lot of things from his point of view in creating something.


Here are some pictures of his collection.

1 comment:

  1. I also like Choi Bum Suk!!! I was very surprised when I heard from my friends that he did not graduate university and became so famous. I really agree with the part that "I am proud of him as a Korean". I hope that he will become more and more famous in the international fashion market.

    ReplyDelete